What is the average cost of hair transplants?
The cost of a hair transplant varies greatly and is determined by several factors. In general, the cost will range between $4,000 and $15,000.
Cost is influenced by many factors, which include:
- The amount of hair moved: It is significantly more expensive to move hair across the entire scalp compared to just one or two small areas.
- The procedure: There are two types of hair transplant surgeries: follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS) and follicular unit extraction (FUX) (FUE). The technique chosen will determine the cost of the hair transplant.
- Surgeons who are considered experts in their field frequently charge more than those who are less established. However, higher costs do not always imply a better outcome. It is critical to thoroughly research both the surgeon and the treatment.
- Location: Surgical costs may be higher in areas where the cost of living is high. Price is also affected by competition, so locations with a small number of hair transplant surgeons may be more expensive.
- Travel expenses: Many people overlook the costs of getting to and from the clinic or hospital. However, traveling long distances to find a suitably qualified surgeon may be necessary, which can add to the overall cost.
Types of hair transplants
1) Strip follicular unit surgery (FUSS)
FUSS entails the removal of a strip of skin from a non-bald area. This donor site is typically located on the back of the head. After that, the cut is closed and hidden by the surrounding hair.
The scalp strip that is removed is divided into tiny sections called grafts, each of which contains only one or a few hairs. Each of these is relocated to the balding areas being treated, which are known as the recipient sites.
The cost of a hair transplant can vary depending on the number of grafts relocated. . If you only require a few grafts, this may be less expensive than paying a flat rate for the treatment.
One of the most major drawbacks of FUSS transplants is that scarring around the donor site is common. Some people may experience pain and swelling in this area.
2)Extraction of follicular units (FUE)
Rather than removing an entire strip of scalp, FUE surgery involves shaving the back of the head and then removing individual hair follicles. The donor sites heal fairly quickly. Only a few small dots are visible, but they are hidden by the surrounding hair.
The surgeon will prepare the grafts and place them in the recipient areas, as with FUSS. The entire procedure takes between 4 and 8 hours, depending on the size of the transplant.
FUE is typically less invasive than FUSS, and there is a lower risk of complications such as scarring or post-operative pain. Furthermore, because hair follicles can be extracted from multiple locations rather than just one, hair thickness at donor sites is unaffected.
FUE transplant surgery is frequently more expensive than FUSS transplant surgery.
Cost of hair transplants in regions around the world
Upon comparing the average costs of hair transplants by country, a price range of 14,298.49 USD can be found. Canada had the highest average cost at 17,500.00 USD, followed by Australia at 13,751.25 USD. The average cost in Turkey was USD 2,675.61.
A variety of factors influence the cost of a hair implant procedure. The number of grafts, the method used to perform the procedure, and the experience of the surgeon operating all influence price variation within a country.